Monday, March 15, 2010

Examiner.com: India de Beaufort talks fun on ‘One Tree Hill’, music, & how one actor changed her life!

---



India de Beaufort was born in the UK/Fred Norris CW TV Photo

It is no surprise that One Tree Hill has made many changes this year. People were lost and people were gained. One of those gains was India de Beaufort, who has made a refreshing splash into Tree Hill all the way from the other side of the ocean. The British native actress moved to Wilmington, NC last fall to play the ice-cold music executive Miranda Stone on One Tree Hill. Interviewing the young actress, one can easily see de Beaufort is exactly the opposite of the feisty, tough role she plays on-screen, which is exactly why she says she enjoys playing Miranda so much. We recently discussed her time on the show, which other woman in Tree Hill she'd like to bicker with and her other aspirations!

What most appeals to you about the role of Miranda Stone?

India- I get her episode by episode so I never really know where she's going and how she gets there and when I first got the part she definitely seemed like more of a villain. Bad girl comes in and causes some trouble. And then she started to have this storyline with Grubbs and she opened up and I think she's slowly become a more lovable personality with a bit more depth. But when I began it I just thought it was a great fun to play this British villain, like a bond movie or something (laughs). And now I've just become friends with her. I'm a little bit more protective of her and I definitely think she has a lot more depth and a lot more to her personality. She's just peeling it off like an onion layer by layer

Is it a challenge to get into that cold exterior mood that Miranda presents?

India-I hate to say it but it's one of those easy things. It's like whenever I play a role that's more of a character it's easier to put it on and get on with it, where as the closer a role is to me the harder I find it to play. This is a lot more vulnerable and you're revealing a lot more. But with Miranda she's such a complete character. I went into my bitch closet and I just pulled something out and that was Miranda Stone!

How was the scene where you had to walk across Tric in just lingerie in front of a crowd of people? Were you at all uncomfortable doing that?

India- Well I think that any girl who has to shoot something in anything but clothes is gonna be uncomfortable. But I'm kind of used to having to do that stuff now and you just have to get on with it. The month before my poor boyfriend had to put up with me saying' but I need to tone up and I need to tan', you know you're just thinking so much about it but by the time you get there's something kind of liberating about doing it in the end.

What's a moment that stands out to you on the set of One Tree Hill?

India-I think that scene when Miranda ate the pickled eggs, I have to say that because that was all true. The face that I was pulling was genuine. That stuff was not by any means tasty or pleasant. It was horrible(laughs) and my boyfriend was on set with me that day and he and Grubbs both ate an egg in solidarity. In support of me that I had to do it take after take after take. That touched me. I thought that was lovely moment with my cast and with my man.

What do you think it is about Grubbs that is getting Miranda to reveal her softer side?

India- Well talent crush to begin with. He's insanely talented the way he plays piano is just ridiculous. But he's also everyone's best friend. He's the bartender with all the answers you know, he's easier to talk to and he listens so well. Miranda really needs someone who brings out the vulnerable softer side of her and that's not something easy to find. I think that Grubbs has opened that door and has definitely pulled her closer to him.

Who is a character you would want Miranda to interact with more? Is there a cast member you would like to work more with?

India- I would love to actually have some scenes with Sophia[Bush]. Brooke as a character can be so quick-witted and great as a girl who's been wronged. I would love to be Miranda doing something wrong to Brooke's character so we can have a fight and that kind of girly banter. I think the scenes between her and Jana[Kramer] are just so funny. Like when the two of them are going at it, it's always fun to watch and I would love to get into that.

I agree, I think Miranda and Brooke arguing would be very fun to watch.

India- Yeah two bitchy girls together, it would be fun. And I love the character Brooke. I'd like to give her every reason to smile. Sometimes that's why we love characters because we're fighting for them. She's got a good story line for her. That's got to be exciting.

Were you nervous joining the One Tree Hill cast this season? How was the experience for you when you first arrived?

India- Yeah of course I was. It's frightening coming on to a set cast who all know each other really well and you don't really know anyone. It's just a new place, you just show up you're in a hotel. You just jump into a van and go into the studio not knowing anything when you show up. And it's really daunting learning all the names and fitting into a well-oiled machine as a new part. But they are lovely.

What has playing Miranda taught about yourself as an actress? How do you think you've grown as an actress playing this part on One Tree Hill?

India- I definitely think it's made me feel more confident as an actress because the cast and crew is so supportive. The show ,it just works so well having been on for seven seasons. You come in, you get the job done, so supported. You feel like you were put there to do what you were meant to do and that definitely builds an actor's confidence. So I think that's what I would take away from this.

I know that you've been a singer, can you talk a little about that and how you made the transition from singing to acting?

India- I originally wanted to be a singer. I had no interest in being an actress what so ever and when I was about 14 or 15, I was signed to a company in England. They owned a children's TV show which they put me in as a singer ,and I was on the show for three years and I left the show when I was 18, and started looking for a record contract.

I was still owned by this company and eventually we parted ways and I went on to do a film Run Fat Boy Run with David Schwimmer, and that time I still wanted to be a singer, this film kind of came up. I definitely wanted to do it I was so excited about the project but I had no intention of continuing with acting, it was just sort of something that came up. I had a conversation with David while he was coaching me through the film knowing that I wasn't an experienced actress, he said to me that he thought that acting was something that I could do well in and as much as I love my singing maybe I should try taking off in that direction. So of course he's the kind of person you listen to and I then decided to take it much more seriously and one thing led to another and now here I am. Singing is kind of on the back burner and I haven't really focused on that. I just don't have the time, but it's definitely something I want to come back to.

Would you like to do more singing in the future?

India- Yeah for sure. Every time that I get called to London, I have a writing partner there that I work with and we mash up songs. At the moment they're just for me but at some point I'll hopefully get to share them.

Would you like to see Haley turn the tables on Miranda and make her a singer? You never know!

India- I don't know if singing is something Miranda would do. (laughs) I have no idea, but you just never know. It's possible you never never know!

What would you say is the biggest difference for you between working in the industry in England and working here in the U.S.?

India- You're a smaller fish in the US There's just so many more TV shows, and actors, and actresses. Where as in the UK you're in a much smaller market there. Here I think you have to fight harder. But then in England we have our royal Shakespeare company, like a lot more stage acting. Like I'm sure they do in New York. I've especially found that in LA it's a lot more of a TV- film based world. But it's all really the same thing at the end of the day.

What is a role you would love to explore as an actress?

India- I would either want to play a full on comedy role where I get to do a lot of stupid stuff and make fun of myself and have a great time. Mess around and challenge myself with comedy, or I would love to play a role that in the other extreme really challenges me dramatically. Something with an intense true storyline that I could really sink my teeth into

Is there an actor you aspire to work with someday during your career?

India- There are two careers I really admire. I'd say Rachel McAdams, I mean Notebook for me is just..she's incredible, she makes me cry every time. I also loved her in The Time Traveler's Wife. I could just watch her all day. Also Sandra Bullock, cause I love comedy, I adore comedy. I get such a thrill out of it and she's hysterical there's nothing she can't do.

What would you be doing in your life if you were not involved in the entertainment industry? What are you passionate about aside from acting and singing?

India- I think something artistic. I was a fashion student and a fine arts student back in England. While I was doing the TV show, I went to a college in England. I love it. I still do it now. I have a sewing machine that I adore and I spend a lot of time sitting in front of it when I'm not working. And any excuse to paint or draw or do something artistic with my hands really gets me going. Definitely aspiring.

All of your One Tree Hill co-stars get this question from me; if you could go back in time and spend a day in the life of anyone from history, who would it be and why?

India- Can I pick two people or does it have to be just one?(laughs)


You can pick two, it's fine. The cast always gets stumped by choosing one person at first anyway.

India- I would like to be Queen Elizabeth I for one day. Just cause she was just an all-mighty wonderful power. Such a perfect idea of a strong woman. Definitely love to walk in her shoes for a day, and also wearing those Elizabethan dresses gowns which were amazing. And the other person is Vivienne Westwood. I would love to go back and spend a day as Vivienne Westwood back on the day when she was setting up her first job on the king's road and dressing the sex pistols. That would be an amazing world to be a part of.

Is there anything you would like to promote to the fans?

India- Mr. Michael Grubbs, he's got a kick-ass band that's doing incredibly well. So check out Mr.Grubbs's band WakeyWakey.


And next week you can hear from Mr. Michael Grubbs himself in his interview with me!


Via : http://www.examiner.com/x-22650-One-Tree-Hill-Examiner~y2010m3d15-India-de-Beaufort-talks-fun-on-One-Tree-Hill-music--how-one-actor-changed-her-life?cid=email-this-article







No comments: