Thursday, August 27, 2009

Baltimoresun.com: Kate Voegele Interview



Kate Voegele wants to be friends with her fans.


The pop-rock musician and “One Tree Hill” actress, 22, keeps them up-to-date via the Web. She has a MySpace page (Interscope’s MySpace Records released her CD “A Fine Mess,” in May) and maintains a blog at katevoegele.com. And on Twitter, she relates to fans more like a person than a product.


One tweet reads: “Annapolis is one of my new favorite cities EVER…had some serious crabcakes and ice cream last night.” Voegele performs Friday night at Rash Field with Uncle Kracker and Bel Air native Julienne Irwin, 16, an “America’s Got Talent” finalist. In a recent phone conversation, Voegele’s Midwestern charm and effervescent personality thwarted any sense of burgeoning celebrity.


Question: Which do you prefer? Performing music or acting?

Answer: They’re both creative challenges for me, but I’ll always be a musician. I can’t imagine my life without it. Acting’s been fun, because it’s new. My role on “One Tree Hill’s” been my first real acting gig, aside from my high school musical. It was “Once Upon a Mattress,” and I was in the chorus.


Question: As far as acting, are there any projects in the works besides “One Tree Hill”?

Answer: I’m hoping to do more acting. I’ve fallen in love with it. Anything that challenges me creatively, I am just so curious about.



Question: On your Twitter feed Aug. 11, you posted, “Played an open mic night in a dive bar for the first time in 5 years.” What’s that all about?

Answer: I was in Wilmington, [N.C.,] shooting for “One Tree Hill,” and one of my friends from the show hosts an open-mic night at this little dive bar. She was like, “Please come out and play a song.” … I went over and played for maybe 40 drunk people, and it was awesome. Not that there’s ever any pressure, because I love performing live, but it was a totally different thing than playing my own headlining gig for 800 people.


Read the rest: Kate Voegele: Singer to perform at Rash Field Aug. 28 — baltimoresun.com.




No comments: