Saturday, August 22, 2009

StarNews: Robert Buckley talks “One Tree Hill” and life in Wilmington


He was the eye-candy boy toy of a Manhattan publishing superwoman on “Lipstick Jungle.” He was the eye-candy magazine editor to a wannabe writer on “Privileged.” Now, Robert Buckley joins the cast of “One Tree Hill” as the eye-candy friend and agent of James Lafferty’s Nathan Scott.

I caught up with Buckley at the TV Critics Association summer press tour with show creator Mark Schwahn, new cast member Shantel VanSanten, and actors Austin Nichols and Sophia Bush.

Buckley talked about how he’s enjoying life in Wilmington. He says he’s definitely a beach guy and might move near the ocean by year’s end. Meanwhile, he’s happy exploring downtown, working with his new boss, and meeting those crazy-loyal fans.

Q: So what do you think of Wilmington so far?

A: I dig it. I was just in Blue Post (at 15 S. water St.) with Shantel and we had a game night. We played Skee Ball, pinball, Big Buck Hunter and pool. Where else can you do that under one roof?

Q: Have the cast and crew been showing you around?

A: They’ve been great. I moved out to be there for like nine months. My first night, Joe Davola, one of our executive producers, and a bunch of the cast took us out to Duck and Dive (a bar at 114 Dock St.) and Slice of Life (a pizza joint at 122 Market St.). I love Wilmington. There’s so much going on.

Q: You play a sports agent named Clay. How much did you know about your character and what have you learned so far?

A: That’s a good question. I had read for Mark three times before I got the job. I had a decent idea but the fact is, Mark’s so far ahead of the game as far as what he has planned for it. I had no idea some of the cool things he has planned for the character. He was telling me about episode seven, and I was like, “Thank you for giving me something fun to play!”

Q: Is that one of the advantage of working for Mark Schwahn, who is so directly involved in the planning of every episode?

A: Yeah… He’s young and hip, and the stuff he’s writing is so relevant still that it’s great. He’s relatable. So you can call him with a question, and he gets it and is able to help you work through it, as opposed to someone who’s like, “Isn’t that what the kids say?” And you’re like, “Really? Come on!”

Q: So this show has a reputation for having rabidly passionate fans. Have you experienced any of that yet?

A: There’s definitely loyal fans. I’ve never worked on a show where there are fans waiting at the edge of the set every single day. That I’ve never experienced. On Tuesday I’ll go out and sign autographs and take pictures, and on Wednesday they’ll have pictures from us on Tuesday for me to sign. They’re just loyal and super into the show. They’re supportive and there because they like the show. It’s not like people are throwing bricks through my window. They’re all sweet.

Q: What’s the vibe like on set?

A: Everyone gets along really well. It’s cool because Shantel and I are total newcomers to this town. we have all bonded so quick. And it makes it so much easier to acclimate and do the good work. And also, again, being in bars like the Blue Post, it’s not hard to make friends.


Via : WE LOVE TV: Robert Buckley talks “One Tree Hill” and life in Wilmington - We Love TV - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC - Archive.



No comments: