Monday, February 1, 2010

Zap2it: One Tree Hill Pays Homage to John Hughes





austin-nichols-jana-kramer-one-tree-hill-dont-you-forget-about-me-320.jpg"One Tree Hill" tips its hat to the late, great filmmaker John Hughes in this low-on-plot but high-on-charm episode.

Friends, when I say low on plot, I mean LOW. The only ongoing story points were Julian and Brooke's transition from lovers to friends (verdict: The friends thing is working for them), Alex's declaration that she is done chasing Julian (even though she still loves him), and Julian beginning his directing gig. And ... that's it! No, seriously. That's it. The rest of the episode was a fun mish-mash of various Hughes-ian allusions and outright mimicry. Oh, and a three-song set from Cheap Trick!

Since nothing actually happened, we're going to play "Spot the Reference" in place of our normal full-blown recap. Ready? Let's go!


John Hughes movie references:
  • Opening montage set to "Don't You Forget About Me" - The Breakfast Club
  • Everyone forgot Haley's birthday - Sixteen Candles
  • Junk & Fergie make Mouth the perfect woman online - Weird Science
  • Jamie is left home by himself - Home Alone
  • Nathan and Clay try to get home by any means possible - Planes, Trains & Automobiles
  • Brooke tears apart a dress and makes it into another one - Pretty in Pink
  • Clay's ex-blonde bimbo gets drunk, gets her hair stuck in a door and has to get it cut out - Sixteen Candles
  • Nathan appears next to a red sports car - Sixteen Candles (Mmm...Jake Ryan)
  • Haley and Nathan kiss over a birthday cake - Sixteen Candles


'80s character costumes:
  • Julian as Duckie from Pretty in Pink
  • Alex as Sloane from Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  • Alexander as Crockett from Miami Vice
  • Haley as Samantha from Sixteen Candles


Favorite quotes:
  • "I feel bad, man. I love bacon, and I love pork chops, and I love ham, you know? But then I met you. And now I'm conflicted." - Clay, to a pig
  • "If you ever hurt her, I will hunt you down across the Outback, and I'm not talking about the steakhouse. Although, I will hunt you down there as well." - Julian, to Alexander
  • "Please tell me you didn't kill that nice lady and steal her car, because there's no way I can spin that." - Clay, to Nathan

What did you guys think of the tribute? Did I miss any references and/or '80s character costumes?




Via : http://blog.zap2it.com/ithappenedlastnight/2010/02/one-tree-hill-pays-homage-to-john-hughes.html






No comments: